Principal Designer Services
This Lot of our Consultancy Services Framework covers the provision of principal designer services. Consultants on this Lot are able to provide all services under the CDM 2015 Regulations.
What is a Principal Designer?
In construction the term ‘principal designer’ is used to describe an organisation or an individual appointed by the client to manage the pre-construction phase of any project which involves more than one contractor.
They carry out an important role in managing how risks to health and safety are managed throughout a project. Design decisions made during the pre-construction phase have a significant influence in ensuring the project is delivered in a way that secures the health and safety of everyone affected by the work.
Schedule of services include
- Planning, managing, monitoring and coordinating health and safety in the pre-construction phase.
- Understanding the existing health and safety file.
- Helping and advising the client in bringing together pre-construction information.
- Provide designers and contractors all the information they need to carry out their duties.
- Work with other designers on the project to eliminate foreseeable health and safety risks.
- Where this is not possible, the principal designer must take steps to reduce or control those risks.
- Ensure that everyone involved in the pre-construction phase communicates and coordinates their work where required.
- Liaise with the principal contractor, keeping them informed of any risks that need to be controlled during the construction phase.